Located at the intersections of Chapman Avenue and Newell Street, the Chapman/Newell Instructional Building will be home to an array of student services vital to their success including the Campus Veterans’ Resource Center, Student Wellness Center (both medical and behavioral health), the Campus Food Bank, Umoja Community Program, Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), CalWORKS, Cooperative Agencies Resources for Education (CARE)/Foster Youth Success Initiative (FYSI), a Multi-Cultural Center, and 2 instructional classrooms. In addition, there will be support functions including shared community storage, a department-wide copy, and a breakroom as well as a lactation room for the benefit of all users.
Project Costs: Measure J=$27,030,129 Local= $1,847,290
Architect of Record: Roesling Nakamura Terada Architecs, Inc.
General Contractor: BN Builders, Inc.
Project Manager: Oscar Saghieh
Program Management: MAAS Companies
Anticipated Construction Start: November 2023
Anticipated Completion: Winter 2025
Chapman/Newell Building - Project Site
- Guaranteed Maximum Price Negotiations start: October 2023
- General Contractor begin preparatory work before construction: October 2023
- Construction start and excavation of the building foundation: November 2023
Impacts and Closures
- Work is scheduled Monday through Friday from 7:30am to 5:30pm.
- Pedestrian and traffic diversions will occur during portions of construction. Please follow detour signs set up for alternate pathways.
- There will be some noise affecting the public for the duration of construction.
Emergency Contact: TBD
Q4 2023 Project Update
Chapman / Newell Instructional Building
Procurement of all necessary consultants for the execution of the project have been secured. Negotiations for the final Guaranteed Maximum Price (GMP) began on August 31. Further negotiations will be underway to reduce the projected cost of construction. The final cost of the GMP will be solidified after the City of Fullerton provides plan approval for the required street improvements.
A Board Agenda Item for recommendation to enter into a contract with the Design-Build Entity will be presented to the Board of Trustees in October. Construction is anticipated to begin later that month.